Monday, January 23, 2012

Trunk to Coffee Table

As I mentioned in my first blog was that I love to go to auctions.  I picked up this trunk for a mere $10.  Structurally it was good, but cosmetically not so good.  The inside paper lining on the trunk was peeling away so I gave it some help.  My intent was to clean it up and sell it.  So, I removed the paper and primed and painted the inside.  The lid to the piece opened up completely so I decided to add a hinge.  The hinge serves two purposed, one to keep it from opening completely and the second to keep it from slamming on little fingers.  The metal edge around the top of the trunk could do some damage if it closed on mine or your fingers...much less a little ones.  So the rest of the trunk I cleaned up and put some satin polyurethane on the wood to seal it.  Then went over all the metal with the poly, it gave it a nice sheen.  I then flipped it over and added brackets for the legs and painted and distressed legs that I purchased from Lowe's.  The legs just screwed right into the brackets.  It put the trunk at a great coffee table height and you have the added bonus of storage!  Here are some pictures of the trunk before and after:

New purchase


inside....I had already started cleaning (I have to remind myself to take pictures before, during and after!)

inside

top


completed project

The outside is still a wonderful shabby chic look but it is a great size!  Cost:  trunk $10, brackets for legs $7, legs $32, polyurethane $5, hinge $4, primer and paint (had around the house), labor...which is my therapy or zin time...so total cost plus tax so this project cost around $60.

I have a little flea market booth and put this in there for sale....but I don't know, I am really attached.  I might have to take it back home and use it for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment